Cromwell Community PlanThis Community Plan covers the Cromwell Township and surrounding area. It encompasses much of the centre of the Cromwell Basin with the Pisa Range to the west, the Dunstan Range to the east; to the north is the head of the valley, which opens out towards Tarras and Luggate; to the south is the Carrick Range and on to the Nevis Valley.
The Cromwell Community valued its greenspace and naturalised open areas and wanted to enhance these features within carefully planned future development.
Today the population of Cromwell Township is approximately 5,000 (based on the current electoral role and the school roles in Cromwell) and is continuing to grow. While there was a sustained period of rapid population growth between 2001 and 2006 (34%), this has since slowed, however projections are for continued growth in the foreseeable future. This will put pressure on existing lifestyle values and therefore good planning, with consideration to the community’s values; will be essential to accommodate this growth.
Some of the key points that came out of the plan include:
- Develop and maintain walkways and cycleways.
- Maintain the momentum of existing initiatives to secure good highway signage and attractive entranceways, ensuring a coordinated approach is undertaken.
- Create a plan or investigate current strategies for removing wilding pines, briar, gorse and broom.
- Consult with the wine industry on how it could be involved more in the life of the community.
- Investigate possibilities for a movie theatre and outdoor venue.
To view the Cromwell Community Plan 2013, please click on the following links: