Government AssistanceLarge Budget Screen Production (LBSP) Grant
Anyone filming a large budget production in New Zealand may be eligible for assistance under the Large Budget Screen Production Grant Scheme.
In 2007 the value of the grant was increased to15% (from 12.5%) and Post, Digital and Visual Effects was added.
Eligible productions may access the Grant where the Qualifying New Zealand Production Expenditure (QNZPE) reaches the following thresholds:
- QNZPE must be at least NZ$15 million. QNZPE is generally defined as the production expenditure incurred for, or attributable to: goods and services provided in New Zealand; the use of land located in New Zealand; and the use of a good that is located in New Zealand at the time that good is used in the making of the screen production. (Note: QNZPE does include costs of all cast and crew while in New Zealand.)
- In the case of television series, individual episodes which have completed principal photography within any 12 month period and with a minimum average spend of NZ$500,000 per commercial hour, may be bundled to achieve the total of NZ$15 million.
- Productions commencing as of 16 July 2007 may be bundled together to qualify for the Grant where:
- QNZPE for the bundle is at least NZ$30 million;
- QNZPE on individual productions included in the bundle is at least NZ$3 million;
- Productions included in the bundle have completed principal photography within a 24 month period; &
- The applicant for each production included within the bundle is related to each other applicant by having 50% or more shareholding in common.
- • Productions commencing as of 16 July 2007 are no longer required to ensure that the value of QNZPE between NZ$15 million and NZ$50 million must represent at least 70% of the total production expenditure.
Post, Digital and Visual Effects (PDV) Grant
Eligible productions commencing as of 16 July 2007 and undertaking only post, digital and visual effects (PDV) work may access the Grant where:
- QNZPE for a single production is between NZ$3 million and NZ$15 million.
- The QNZPE is spent or is necessarily related to the PDV activities listed in the criteria.
- PDV productions may be included in a bundle where the applicants meet the requirement related to shareholding in common.
Visit the grant scheme website to find out further information.