From Steam Trains to Pedal Power the Otago Central Rail Trail story
Record your rail trail journey with your own stamped passportBook it
Let us book your Otago Central Rail Trail experience today
Code of ConductTo ensure everyone has a safe and enjoyable experience on the Otago Central Rail Trail it is important to act responsibly and to be considerate towards other visitors, local people, the farmers and communities along the way.
- Stay on the trail.
- Take care at road crossings. Be prepared to stop – vehicles have the right of way.
- Young children should be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Leave farm animals alone – they are not your responsibility.
- Leave farm gates as you find them.
- Keep left, so other users may pass freely.
- Take your rubbish with you.
- Always use toilets – if you can’t wait, ensure you bury your waste away from the trail and waterways
- Cyclists must wear safety helmets.
- Cyclists should take special care when approaching walkers and horses from behind.
- Dogs (on leads) are permitted on the Alexandra to Clyde section only.
- Horses should walk single file, be led over bridges and through tunnels. Remove any dung from the trail.
- Open fires are not permitted.
- Firearms are not permitted.
- Private motorbikes and vehicles are not permitted.
- Stay off private property.
- Camp only in designated campsites.
- Enjoy your Otago Central Rail Trail experience.