Naseby is located 10 minutes north of Ranfurly. The village lies at the foot of the Mount Ida Range and is on the edge of the Naseby forest. Founded in 1863 as part of the gold rush, Naseby is renowned for its heritage aspect including gold mining relics and heritage buildings. There is also a range of recreational opportunities, from cycling through the maze of trails within the Naseby forest, through to experiencing a range of winter sports activties - such as curling (both indoor and outdoor), skating, and the natural ice luge.
Naseby has a population of around 120 but in the holiday period this population may increase to about 4,000 people. The village, and its immediate surrounds, is valued for ambience, recreational facilities, services, safe family-friendly community, natural environment, and local heritage and history.
Naseby's Community Plan 2016 is the third community plan for this region.
Some of the key action points recommended within the Plan include:
• Explore opportunities for greater coordination in marketing Naseby as a tourism destination, and raise the profile of the town's heritage value within this;
• Publicise the improvement of Naseby’s cell phone and broadband services to help attract new businesses to Naseby, plus help existing businesses make the most of these improved services;
• Work with the NZ Fire Service to develop a community campaign that provides public information for individual households on how they can take responsibility for fire protection;
• Ensure the restoration of the town's war memorial;
• Establish dialog with Ernslaw One with a view to develop signage/interpretation to encourage people to view and explore historic sites;
• Explore a strategy to attract new businesses that foster a strong economic base, while still mainitaining compatibility with Naseby's vision and values.
To view Naseby's Community Plan 2016, click here.
To view the 2010 Naseby Community Plan, click here.
To view the 2006 Naseby Community Plan, click here.
The Naseby Community Plan review open for comment.