This Community Plan covers the Omakau township and surrounding area.
The Omakau community's vision is to have a thriving (and welcoming) community, with a peaceful rural character and excellent amenitites, that provides a safe, sustainable and exciting destination for visitors and residents alike.
Some of the key points that came out of the plan include:
- Determine ongoing maintenance and development of the Omakau Hall
- Develop a map of the town that displays interesting places to visit, activities and services
- Install signage, from the rail trail and town centre, directing people to the public toilets at the Domain
- Create low maintenance beautification plans for Omakau's public spaces, in consultation with the landowner, and implement community working bees to achieve these plans
- Develop better communication links with Council.
To view the Omakau Community Plan 2014 click here.
Omakau Community Facilities Feasibility StudyThe Omakau community has recruited Global Leisure Group (GLG) to review its public-use facilities to assess what the community needs, both now and into the future, and how these facilities should be configured to meet these demands in an affordable way. This study was brought about through the Omakau Community Plan, which identified that the Omakau Hall is currently underutilised and requires significant structural development to meet the earthquake standards for public-use facilities. In addition, the Matakanui Combined Rugby Clubrooms are also in need of structural improvements. Global Leisure Group will be reviewing both facilities, as well as other community facilities that can be hired for public use, and will assess options for the development of community spaces(s) that will meet current and future community needs.
Input from the community and user groups is essential in this process. Global Leisure Group is keen to learn about your needs and hear your views. Please click on the links below to complete a short survey as either an individual within the Omakau/Manuherikia community or as a reprepsenative of a club or organisation within the district.
Click here to enter the Community Survey
Click here to enter the User Group Survey
Please ensure that you have completed and returned your survey by Friday, 28 July 2017.