Waipiata is located in the Maniototo and is situated 10 kilometres south east of Ranfurly. It is a small village with distinctive heritage, historical buildings and sites. Waipiata has a permanent population of 24 with holiday home owners boosting population numbers to mid 50’s. Waipiata sits alongside the Taieri River and has the Otago Central Rail Trail running through its centre. Waipiata benefits from significant numbers of visitors associated both with the rail trail and with the river. It also hosts the very successful Waipiata Ute Muster which attracts more people each year to this distinctive event.
Some of the key points that came out of the plan include:
- Developing a community newsletter
- Encourage communication and co-operation between existing community groups and committees
- Identify an appropriate location for public toilets
- Hogburn Creek cleared to assist water flows.
- Vegetation removed to improve access to the Hogburn Creek.
- Encourage and support the re-establishment of Taieri Lake
- Continue to encourage improvement of river quality in the area.
- Explore water options for the village.
- Appropriate directional road signage erected.
- Advocate for the widening and sealing of the Kyeburn-Waipiata and Kyeburn- Kokonga roads.
To view the Waipiata Community Plan click here.