This track leads to an historic suspension bridge over the Clutha River. The village once here in this gold mining area was known as Rigney and the miner’s children needed to cross the river to get to school. Rather than brave the swift current with a boat, first a wire cage was installed but when this proved difficult, the bridge you see today was constructed in 1913.
It is remote and can be a wild area but the peacefulness and spectacular river views are well worth the effort getting here. Take care on the bridge but enjoy crossing before returning the same way.
Access from SH8 through the area known as Island Block. This route has excellent views of the river and recent gold dredge ponds. There is an information kiosk at the other end; allow 1.5 hours for this return walk.
Whilst in this area, drive 1 km further on this road and view the ‘Lonely Graves’, located beside the road with a car park adjacent. There are two graves here. According to the story in 1865 William Rigney found the body of a good looking young man in the river. He buried it here with the headboard inscribed ‘Somebody’s Darling lies buried here’. When William died in 1912, he was buried beside ‘Somebody’s Darling’.